X® ® and other c
And other c onstipation tr
hoW it WorKs
• Relieves occasional constipation by drawing water into the
• Proven safe and effective in elderly patients1
bowel from surrounding body tissues.This provides softer
stools and increases the frequency of bowel movements
• Provides both stool softening and laxative effects1-9
• One of only 2 laxatives with a Grade A recommendation from
the American College of Gastroenterology10*
• Generally produces a bowelmovement in 1-3 days. Many
• Do not use if you have kidney disease except under the advice
• Can cause stomach discomfort, faintness, cramps, sudden
• Stimulates the walls of the intestine, causing the muscles
• Do not use Bisacodyl within 1 hour after taking an antacid or milk
• Generally produces a bowel movement in 6-12 hours
• Sennosides may affect how other drugs work. Shouldbe taken
• Softens and increases the bulk of digested food, making
• Ferments in the intestine, which may cause gas and bloating
it easier for waste to travel through and leave the body
• May affect how well other medicines work. Take at least
• Generally produces effect in 12-72 hours
2 hours before or 2 hours after prescribed medication
• Allows water and fats to get into the stool. This helps
soften fecal material and makes defecation easier
• Generally produces bowel movement in 12-72 hours
• Pulls large amounts of water into the intestine, making
• Can produce urgent, loose stools• Can remove electrolytes11
stool soft and loose. Increased fluid causes pressure that
• May interact with certain prescription drugs
stimulates contractions in the intestines
• Patients with kidney disease or amagnesium restricted diet need
• Usually produces bowel movement in 1/2 to 6 hours
• Potential significant side effects, including cramps,
• Draws fluid in to the colon, lowering pH and increasing
• Generally produces a bowel movement in 1-2 days
a low-lactose diet should consult a physician12,13
2011 Merck Consumer Care
The trademarks depicted in this table are owned by their respective owners.
DiPalma JA, et al. A randomized, multicenter, placebo-controlled trial of polyethylene glycollaxative for chronic treatment of chronic constipation. Am J Gastroenterol.
2007; 102:1436-1441 2.
Stoltz R, et al. An efficacy and consumer preference study of polyethylene glycol
3350 for the treatment of constipation in regular laxative users. Home Health Care Consultant.
2001; 8:21-26. 3.
Cleveland MvB, et al. New polyethylene glycol laxative for treatment of constipation in adults: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. South Med J.
Data on file, Schering-Plough Health Care Products. 5.
DiPalma JA, etal. An open-label study of chronic polyethylene glycol laxative use in chronic constipation. Aliment Pharmacol Ther.
2006; 25:703-708. 6.
DiPalma JA, et al. A randomized, multicenter comparison of polyethylene
glycol laxative and tegaserod in treatment of patients with chronic constipation. Am J Gastroenterol.
DiPalma JA, et al. A randomized, placebo-controlled, multicenter study of the safety and efficacy of a new polyethylene glycol laxative. Am J Gastroenterol.
DiPalma JA, et al. Braintree polyethylene glycol (PEG) laxative for ambulatory and long-term care facility constipation patients: report of randomized, cross-overtrials. Online J Dig Health.
Tran LC, et al. Lack of lasting effectiveness of PEG 3350 laxative treatment
of constipation. J Clin Gastroenterol.
American College of Gastroenterology. An evidence-based approach to the management of chronic constipation in NorthAmerica. Am J Gastroenterol.
Hsieh C. Treatment of constipation in older adults.
Am Fam Physician.
Kristalose (lactulose) For Oral Solution full Prescribing Information, Cumberland Pharmaceuticals. 13.
Lactulose. Available at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a682338.html#precautions. Accessed May29, 2009.
TUMS or NEXIUM July 11th, 2007 Timothy J. Gramatovich, CFA While the bond markets as a whole performed poorly, stocks took flight, launching them firmly into positive territory. We held together reasonably well in what is likely turning out to be the first phase of an overdue beating in bonds and loans. It has been a long time since we have seen discounts in what we feel are absolute
I väntrummet på S:t Lars är vi jämlika. Människor, varken mer eller mindre. I psykakutens milt välkomnande ljus finns inga titlar. Fyllbultar och docenter, hemlösa, förgråtna tonårsbrudar, uppgivna medelålderskrisar och stinkande gubbar. Där sitter vi i trådslitna fåtöljer. Ofta ensamma. Oftast ensamma. De unga tjejerna har ibland med sig en väninna som stöttar och tröstar. Rik